Friday, January 1, 2016

Just a New Year's note.

If you haven't noticed there is a points timer with A Google A Day. It shaves off points the longer it takes you to answer question. I don't like it and I won't post my tally on this page. There are a couple reasons why:

  • It turns an already an interesting game into a race. There are hundreds of ways to solve these questions. All of them are valid. But they do require patience and time. If you're so busy looking at how much time it took you to answer a question then you are distracted from how you answered the question.
  • The end results of playing A Google A Day is to gain familiarity with Google and its workings, making you an efficient Internet researcher. It is important to have a firm grasp on Internet searching considering that search engines have taken the place of ready reference in many libraries and other information institutions. It's like the difference between self-serve and full-service. Asking the librarian is full-service, going to the Internet is self-serve(for the most part you are taking the place of the librarian).
  • If you wanted to solve them circa 1993(when NCSA Mosaic came out), using physical reference materials, you very well could. It would be labor and time intensive, but it would be far more interesting than quickly coming up with the answers using a search engine. What if you played A Google A Day using Bing or DuckDuckGo? I was thinking about doing that for this blog, but I decided against it. People want know how I answer the question using Google./li>
Finally, I write this blog to help others in their Internet search techniques. I do expect comments and advice on other search methods. I don't say that I have all the answers, but I do look for answers. The joy is relating how I found what I found. It takes longer to write the article than it does to answer Google's questions(the longest time answering was 15 min.). May seem ridiculous, but as an information professional I'm trying to share that knowledge with you.

I hope this helps you out.

Cya in uptime, and happy New Year. 

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment