Tuesday, January 5, 2016

2 new project. 2#: Advanced Power Searching.

Google has search classes that teach practitioners how to effectively leverage the search engine. The two they offer is a basic search(called Power Searching with Google) and advanced search (Advanced Power Searching). After completing and submitting the modules if you were successful you were eligible for a certificate. Like A Google a Day, submission for credit involved using an automated service. It wasn't that hard or very complicated, except in trying to answer the question. The questions for the advanced search class could be very involved. I heard it was not unusual to spend an hour or two trying to come up with a sufficient answer.

I enrolled in the last "live" Advanced Power Searching class, but I was too involved in graduate school to fully take advantage of it. Like a lot of MOOC students I dropped out without trying. Shameful on my part, but I needed few distractions that semester and online advanced searching techniques might have proven to be my undoing. Though I had this idea that I would had a wonderful time.

For the next few weeks within A Google 365 Days I'm going to try answering those questions. If you follow this hyperlink it will drop you at the beginning of the tutorial, starting with the sample challenge. Because some of the challenges can be very time intensive I will post my answers with the search strategies every nine days starting next Wednesday(13 January, 2016 @ 12:00 EDT). That does not mean I will delay or forgo that days questions: I will try to do them both within the week. Again, the same rules apply to the Advanced Power Searching questions as A Google a Day, the answer is valid when there is a explanative search query attached. I encourage you to follow along and post your search strategies in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment